I have tried on multiple sites, to get the default main menu, to display a child menu that is three or more in depth, but nothing seems to work.

I am using 8.8 version and have even looked at other sites, including yours, and can find no examples of a top main menu that goes deeper then a simple link to one level. If it is possible to go deeper, please tell me how to get multi level child menu's to display for public viewing.

Thanks

Hi FTW,

Thanks for the question. You should find this works. 

Via Organizer, you can make menu nodes to any depth you like (probably 5 levels is a practical limit, but it's not a technical limit).

On the front end, it depends which menu module you use. If you use zenario_promo_menu it will be limited to L1, L2 and L3 (three levels). That is a design feature.

If you use zenario_menu (which is the Horizontal Menu) it ought to allow anything up to 5 levels, check the settings of that plugin.

Please let me know if you're not managing to succeed with that?

Best regards,

Tony

Thank you for such a timely response.

Per your information, I have been testing the Menu (Horizontal) on my home page layout.

Level 1:

In this test, using the “Main” or TOP menu, I created a top level primary Level 1 (Menu node and HTML page.)

The Menu node properties for this item lists an “Internal” link with a path preview of (1 level) and a published html page.

When I click on this menu link located on the home page, it opens the appropriate published html page just fine.

Level 2:

I also created a Child Menu node, that is attached to the (Level 1) HTML page, listed above.

This child level menu node property page lists an “Internal” link with breadcrumbs displaying the name of the top level menu name and the name of this child menu, with a path preview of (1 level). It also displays the name of a published html page.

When I click on this menu link located on the home page, it opens the appropriate published html page just fine.

Level 3:

I created another child level and attached it to the (Level 2), child menu mentioned above.

This child level menu node property page lists an “Internal” link with breadcrumbs displaying the name of the top level (Level1) menu name and the name of the (Level 2) child menu, as well as this (Level 3) child menu, with a path preview of (1 level).

It also displays the name of a published html page however it is not displayed on the Level 1 menu.

So, at this point, I am not sure what changes I need to make, in order to have a 3rd level link show up in the menu.

I also tried another set of links, using a Level 1 menu node, as a node only and NO internal links. Under that level 1 link, I created multiple Level 2 child links containing internal or external links.

I have not tried a level 3 or more links under this format yet, but this is one of my goals as I really need to be able to organize data through sub links as much as possible.

Thank you for any ideas and help.

Hi FTW,

Have you checked the Menu (Horizontal) settings to display more than 2 levels?

I assume the plugin is on the Layout, therefore you click 'Layout' tab on the admin toolbar. The click mouseover the slot where the menu is to see the plugin's control button. Click the control button and click plugin properties (see screenshot).

By default you will see that Number of levels to display: is set to be 2 levels:

but of course you can change that to be 3 levels or more.

You might need to adjust the styles to display the menu. But basically would look like this:

Let us know if this helped.

Kind regards,

Liz

Liz, I want to thank you for responding to my question and for your screen shot. I was able to find the correct location that allowed me to change the number of levels from 2 to 3 or 5 successfully, depending on the need of whichever site I am working on and the needs of that particular site.

However, I am at a loss for where or how to change the menu layout in order to display the additional levels off to the side as per your screen shot. If the menu format you displayed was created by using CSS, would you mind sharing a copy of your css file and sharing the location where I need to add it?

Thank You for all of your assistance.

FTW

FTW said:

Liz, I want to thank you for responding to my question and for your screen shot. I was able to find the correct location that allowed me to change the number of levels from 2 to 3 or 5 successfully, depending on the need of whichever site I am working on and the needs of that particular site.

However, I am at a loss for where or how to change the menu layout in order to display the additional levels off to the side as per your screen shot. If the menu format you displayed was created by using CSS, would you mind sharing a copy of your css file and sharing the location where I need to add it?

Thank You for all of your assistance.

FTW

Hi FTW,

Glad to know it helped.

Are you using your own styles for the site? or are you using the default "Black Dog" skin?

On my site's screenshot I'm using the default "Black Dog" skin. And the CSS file I can find it on the folder:

/zenario_custom/templates/grid_templates/skins/blackdog/editable_css/

and file:

2.zenario_menu.css

There should be a CSS that hides the nodes for levels 3+:

.zenario_menu .wrap_menu_inner > ul > li > ul > li ul {
	opacity:0;
	visibility:hidden;
}

And then the CSS that shows the node for level 3 when mouseover the parent on level 2:

.zenario_menu .wrap_menu_inner > ul > li > ul > li:hover > ul,
.zenario_menu .wrap_menu_inner > ul > li > ul > li:hover > ul > li:hover > ul {
	opacity:1;
	visibility:visible;
}

Please note on my screenshot the level 3 displays only when I mouseover the parent on level 2.

Hope it helps.

Kind regards,

Liz

Great support and I want to thank you both for your assistance, but especially Liz.

Your answers and screen shots were spot on and helped me achieve my goal in a respectable time frame.

As a high school dropout with no formal computer training, you guys have provided the best support I have run across in the 20+ years I have been creating and running websites.

Although I am currently retired, I still own, manage and write for 30+ of my own sites and I must say the detailed explanation of the Zenario, your documentation and forum answers are the best I have ever run across, so keep up the great work!!

Thank you so much for your message FTW!. Means a lot to us.

I've been using Zenario for 15 years and I love it! Hope you have fun with Zenario too!

You must confirm your screen name on your profile in order to comment.

Please Login if you wish to add a comment.